Powered By Blogger

Sunday 19 July 2015

KNITTED SCARVES

I decided that my next project would be a scarf.  I found, after knitting my throw, that I actually liked knitting and wanted to do some more of it.  I wasn't ready to knit another throw yet, so I decided on knitting a scarf.  That should be easy enough and it was only garter stitch.  I do plan on doing other stitches in the future.


Blue And White Striped Knitted Scarf
As with my knitted throw, I cast on my stitches with the method the GoodKnitKisses - "Cast On Beginner" shows.  I cast on 30 as I didn't want the scarf to be too thick or too thin.

I wanted to use two colours for my scarf, so went back to YouTube to see how I could integrate my two colours and make it look neat and tidy.

knittingtipsbyjudy - "How To Add Color Knitting Video" - Judy showed a very simple way to add colour successfully.  I understood the concept and I could implement the procedure, but I kept getting the changeover colour started on the wrong side.  I kept thinking that to start the changeover colour you needed to start knitting on the back of the knit.  Every time I start the changeover at the back of the knit, the joining of the two colours would be at the front of the knit, which made the scarf look untidy.  I seriously couldn't see what I was doing wrong.  Honestly, I started this scarf about 5 times before it sunk in that I needed to start my changeover colour at the front, so that the joining of the two colours would be at the back.  Took me a while, but I got there.


Back Of The Scarf

Once I understood the concept, it was plain sailing thereafter.  The scarf isn't very long, about 55" in length.  I think its a good length, not too long, not too short.

To cast off, I again used "Share The Warmth: Brett Bara Shows You How To Knit".  Near the end of the video, Brett shows you how to cast off, which is simple enough for me.


Length And Width Of Finished Scarf

Once I cast off, I had to get rid of the excess strands at the back of the scarf to make the scarf look neat and tidy.  I got one of my knitters needles that has a rounded, blunt tip to sew the excess wool into the scarf.

I must admit, I'm happy with the outcome at the back of the scarf.


Before Sewing

After Sewing

Once I finished sewing in the ends, I felt a huge sense of relief that I managed to finish the scarf and satisfaction because I liked the finished look of the scarf.  Even though I had to start the scarf 5 times, it ended up ok.


Blue And White Striped Knitted Scarf


Blue And White Striped Knitted Scarf

Now, I'm ready for my next project!!

No comments:

Post a Comment