Powered By Blogger

Saturday 6 June 2015

SLOWLY, BUT SURELY


There are so many talented people out there.  I look on Google Plus, Pinterest and YouTube and I see talented people like MollyQuest, TheCraftyGemini and Shari Sherman make artistic knits, quilts and sewable things and I realise that I want to join the ranks of the talented and artistic.  I won't compare myself to other people because I believe that everyone is different and everyone does their thing in their own way.  Even though I am a beginner knitter, quilter and sewer, I am just as talented and artistic as everyone else, but brilliance takes time.  I am prepared to go slowly, but surely.  I am willing to learn new things to become experienced in my working and leisure life.

I think about what I want to make, then I surf YouTube for people to help me to make what I want to make.  As a beginner, with no official training in knitting, sewing or quilting, I look for the simplest and easiest way of making my chosen project.  I am a person who finds it easier to watch someone make something, watching step by step the process.  I find it difficult to read instructions in a book, or on a page, especially when I can't see the step by step process.  With YouTube, you can stop the video when you want.  You can rewind and go over again and again the part you find difficult until you understand and get it right.  Because of YouTube, I have the confidence to continually move forward and make the projects I never dreamed I would be able to make.  With that in mind, I had a go at making tote bags.


Imitation Brown Suede Tote Bag I Made
The reason why I have found my confidence to make my projects is because of the people I choose on YouTube to help me.  Their easy, no nonsense, step by step approach got me through.

Rachel Greenland - The Textile Tutor - "How to Make a Simple Tote Bag".  Rachel's tote bag is suitable for beginners and the only stitches you need for this bag are straight and zig zag stitch.


Imitation Red Suede Tote Bag I Made
Prettycraftygirl - "DIY Tote Bag/Sewing Project for Beginners".  Prettycraftygirl helped me to give my tote bag a square bottom, which was easier to do then I thought.


I love my pin cushions
The pin cushions I made without any help from anyone.  Pin cushions are not the hardest things to make, but I did it all by myself.

All the people who upload videos to YouTube, keep doing what you are doing and keep up the good work.  I don't think people realise how helpful you actually are.  Thank you, thank you, thank you. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment